Please feel free to bring music tapes or CDs to listen to during your appointment.
Prescriptions and Medications:
- Have any prescriptions filled prior to your surgery date.
- A sedative is available upon request.
- The sedative must be taken one hour prior to appointment.
- If a sedative is taken, you must have a driver.
- If Motrin (Ibuprofen) and/or an antibiotic are prescribed, begin taking as directed on your prescription.
- We advise you to take the pain medication before your numbness wears off.
- Avoid alcohol and aspirin 3 to 5 days prior to surgery, as they are blood thinners and may cause excessive bleeding and delay healing.
- Please eat a good meal before your appointment, as you will be numb when you leave and may not feel like eating for a while.
Have an Ice Pack at Home:
- The use of ice will help reduce swelling and pain after surgery.
- Ice is useful for the first 6-8 hours after surgery.
- Moist heat may be applied the day following surgery, for additional comfort.
- Have soft foods available: pasta, eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, tofu and potatoes are good choices.
- Make certain to eat prior to surgery, you may not feel much like eating after surgery, and it will be helpful when taking your medications.
- Avoid caffeine before surgery.
- Allow 24 to 48 hours of rest after your surgery.
- Minimize your activity during this time.
- Avoid activities that will elevate your heart rate and blood pressure.
- Healing will occur much faster by resting.